Small Group Bible Study - Participant Handout
Boaz chooses to be obedient to the LORD by redeeming Ruth and Naomi and is blessed by God because of it.
The guardian-redeemer who acted selfishly and forfeited his responsibility is left unnamed and therefore is recorded in history as being insignificant.
For Boaz, on the other hand, simple obedience brings blessing and honor.
1. Redeeming Ruth (and Naomi) may not have been an easy decision for Boaz. It placed additional responsibility and financial risk on His shoulders. Yet biblically, he knew it was the right thing to do and God blessed him in his obedience. Share an experience of a difficult obedience that brought blessing in your life.
There is power in the spoken word.
21 The tongue has the power of life and death. (Proverbs 18:21)
2. The elders in his community spoke a blessing over Boaz when he announced that he would redeem Ruth and Naomi. Name other biblical characters who received blessings.
3. Words are powerful. What spoken blessings have you received and how have they affected your life?
Naomi's friends and family were quick to praise God for His faithfulness.
4. Thanking God for what He has done keeps us focused on His greatness and allows Him to impart to us His peace. What are you thankful for today?
God sovereignly orchestrates the events of our lives.
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)
5. Upon the death of her husband and sons, Naomi could have turned her back on the LORD, but she chose to trust in spite of her circumstances. In the depths of the valley, for those trust in Christ, there is always hope ahead. Name another biblical character who God rescued from a hopeless situation.
6. How have you seen the sovereignty of God at work in your life?
In response to today’s lesson, we can: